The Hostellerie des Trois Maures was built at the end of Louis XIV reign. This beautiful private mansion is located beneath the Castle of Saumur and overlooking the Loire River. The hotel was designed by Mr Cailleau, the King’s architect who has also designed many other buildings in Saumur.
At the beginning of the 17th century, the existence of hotels were promoted following the pilgrimages at Notre Dame des Ardilliers located in Le Fenêt district. At this time Saumur counted 32 hotels and Inns.
During the 16th and 17th century, the beginning of the Equestrian tradition along with the Protestant Academy founded by Duplessis Mornay attracted the Royal Carabiniers in 1763. Several officers lodged at the Trois Maures while waiting for the construction process of the School of Cavalry, thus completed by 1779.
By the middle of the 18th century, the Saumur councillors came up with a plan to extend the dock until Les Ardilliers which consequently led to the construction of hotels in the surrounding area until the middle of 19th century.
The Hostellerie des Trois Maures was sold to the Levesque-Desvarannes family, originating from Angers and founders in Saumur. Following the revolution (1793), they directed a monetary workshop with the aim to construct National currency resulting from cast iron bells.
The mansion was constructed between 1750 and 1774 with the front part facing the Loire, the wings turned in a flat angle bracket, and the back enclosing an inner courtyard. The lounge of the oriental wing remains as a vestige of the XVII century Auberge.
The mansion was then acquired during the Revolution period by Charles-Daniel Dupuis, the commander of the National Guard. He extended a magnificent Empire styled room with patterns designed by Percier and Fontaine, architects of the Emperor Napoleon the 1st.
During the XIX century, the last owner was Louis Jamet, trader and President of shipowners of the Loire. He acquired the property between 1835 and 1843 and hastened to affirm his notoriety on the quay as he had embellished what was left of it and re-built a balcony made out of forged iron and marked with his initials L.J.
This private mansion was owned by the family until 1938, when the descendants of Louis Jamet decided to sell it. Following, the mansion fell out of attraction for a long time before regaining the splendour of it’s old days. However, upon being classified as a historic monument in 1975 it was named as Jamet Hotel.
The staircase, under a lavish original Trompe l’Oeil ceiling painted by anonymous Florentine’s painter in 1730, is endowed an iron banister forged worthy of the biggest palace of time.
The staircase and the facade, simple and wall-balanced are classified.
Five rooms still have there original design. The staircase and the facade, simple but yet magnificent, are listed amongst the famous historical architectures of Saumur.
THE FACADE ON THE LOIRE RIVER
The research for balance, which presided over the elaboration of this facade, does not exclude the austerity.
It is vertically divided into five spans by false pilasters rising in a continuous way of the stone base of Champigné until a kind of architrave running under the ledge. This prescription gives a feeling of stab to the building and compensates for the effect which produces its stretching in length. Four side spans are drilled by two windows by level with the exception of the central body, which is emphasized, and the carriage entrance who allowed formerly cars and horses to reach the then closed courtyard.
The balcony, wider than that of origin, was ordered between 1840 and 1850 by his owner at that time, Louis Jamet, as indicate it initials L. J. who decorate it as well as caducé (Baguette of laurel or olive tree, surmounted by two wings and surrounded with two interlaced snakes), symbols of Mercury, God of business and travels, which represent his activity of ship owner’s president of the Loire.
The effect of stab of which we spoke in a more loud voice is widely limited(eased) by the other architectural formulae. The slender headband(banner), the sculptured dish(flat), over the ground floor, produces an effect already tried(felt) in the art to build: he(it) gives the impression(printing) that floors lean on this one.
Thanks to a game(set,play) of learned balance, pilasters on the contrary pursue their vertical moose(run-up) to the parts(parties) full of the balustrade.
Besides, the differences between windows at every level underline the horizontal character of the facade. Indeed, windows are almost squared in the top, those of the noble floor lengthen(stretch out) of a decorated with mouldings table, those of the bottom(stocking) are darker.
Finally, this lodging house is crowned with a stony balustrade hiding a very flat roof.
Geometrical rigor, sobriety, nudity, rhythm characterize this house, as the school of constructed cavalry at the same time. This type(chap) of rise obeys the orientations given by the saumurois town councillors dices the 18th century during the big projects of arrangement(development) of the city to give him(her) an architectural unity(unit).
The STAIRCASE of HONOR
Staircase of splendor, assisted by two other staircases of release(clearance), he was borrowed(taken) by the host, his(its) family and his guests. His(her,its) ground floor allowed them to reach lounges(shows). His(her,its) walking(marches) are built stone hard up to the noble then wooden floor for the superior floors.
The iron banister forged, real masterpiece of ironworks, is decorated with a decoration(set) typically Louis XVI: réticulés motives, posts(post offices), Greek. Medallions, in the center of every flight(volley), are decorated with four golden sheets(leaves) of acanthuses.
This majestic stairwell is completed by a surprising ceiling painted in trunk - the 'œil, imitating a dome with boxes converging on a night sky(vault of heaven) surrounded with a circular ring. This air decoration contributes(competes) to the effect of flight of the staircase whereas making echo for the banister, a fresco runs(roams) at the level of support of the wall and represents slender supports, where from hang draperies as well as caduceuses similar to those of the outside balcony.
A top of door, in front of hallway of entrance(entry), still raises Louis Jamet's initials and lets think that this last one commanded(ordered) the decoration(set) painted by the middle of the 19th century whereas the staircase was built at the same time as the building in the second half of the 18th century. His(her,its) theatrical composition contrasts with the sobriety of the facade on quay(platform).
House of ANJOU
René 1st The Voucher (said The Generous), Count of Way then Duke of Bar, Marquis of Pont-à-Mousson, King of Jerusalem and Sicile, Count of Provence, Forcalquier. Duke of Lorraine and Marquess from 1431 till 1453.
Born on January 16th, 1409, second son of Yolande of Aragon.and of Louis II, Duc of Anjou, King of Sicile and Count of Provence.
He participates in the said war " Hotée of apples " with his father in-law Duke of Lorraine in July, 1429. He is arrested during the battle of Bulgnéville, against Antoine of Vaudémont, the count of Vaudémont allied to Philip the Good of Bourgogne July 2nd, 1431 and is locked in the castle of Dijon. To be free he gives up several cities of which Neufchâteau.
A first marriage with Isabelle de Lorraine, Duchess of Lorraine and elder daughter of Duke Charles II …
They had ten children :
- Jean of Anjou, Duke of Calabre, Marquis of Pont-à-Mousson, then Duke of Lorraine and Marquess under the name of Jean II …
- René of Anjou …
- Louis of Anjou, Marquis of Pont-à-Mousson. He was born in the castle of Bar-le-Duc in 1428, died in 1444 at the age of 15.
- Nicolas of Anjou, Duke of Lorraine and of Bar. Born in verse on 1428 in Nancy
- Yolande of Anjou born in the Castle of Bar-le-Duc in spring, 1429 ; she was the wife of Ferri of Lorraine, son of Count of Vaudémont.
- Marguerite of Anjou, born in Pont-à-Mousson in March, 1430. She was the wife of Henri VI of England on May 23rd, 1445 and becomes Queen of England on the next May 30th. She dies the 25th of August 1482 in Angers.
- Charles of Anjou, Count of Way.
- Isabelle of Anjou ; she dies in 1442 in the castle of Sierck.
- Louise of Anjou, been born in 1436.
- Anne of Anjou, been born in 1437. Died in 1450.
During the death of his wife, he has to abandon(give up) his rights on the duchy of Lorraine for his son Jean said about Calabria and keeps(guards) the only Duchy of Bar.
The second marriage in 1454 with Jeanne de Laval, daughter of Isabelle de Bretagne and Guy de Laval, Count de Laval. She(it) dies in 1498.
René 1st the Voucher dies on July 10th, 1480 in its palace of Aix en Provence
1750-1779: Louis Levesque-Desvarannes fondeur, originaire d’une famille d’Angers, dirigea en 1790 l’atelier monétaire de Saumur et construisit ce logis sur l’emplacement de l’auberge des Trois Mores.
La demeure sur quai est rachetée à la fin 18eme siècle par Charles Daniel Dupuis, commandant de la garde nationale. C’est lui qui fit aménager une magnifique chambre du plus pur style Empire, dont les décors ont été dessines par Percier et Fontaine, architectes de l’Empereur Napoleon 1er.
1840: A son tour, Louis Jamet, président de la corporation des armateurs de Loire acquiert cet hôtel particulier qui se transmit dans la même famille jusqu’en 1938, date a laquelle les descendants de Louis Jamet le vendirent.
1975: Classement de la façade et de l’escalier par les Monuments Historiques.
1983: Ce monument historique fut restaure avec soin et converti en hôtel a vocation touristique sous le nom d’Anne d’Anjou*
* Anne d’Anjou, née en 1437, était le 10e